Friday, June 25, 2010

And I'm free...

...from having a car that is. That's right, I am sans car at the moment. I had to turn my Saturn Ion, that I have been leasing for the last 3 years, in to the dealership by June 27th. And in true Kim fashion I did it today, two days before the deadline and three days before leaving the country.

You might be asking yourself: "Self, why is Kim without a car? Don't people usually buy their leased vehicle at the end of a lease or turn it in and lease another type of car?" And to that I say, good question. Yes it is true that the average person does either purchase their car or lease a new one. I, however, am not average. :)

Even though I was extremely over my miles on my lease I still turned it in because of one main reason...I can't afford to buy it or get a new one. Well I guess technically I could get a loan to buy it, but the amount they were going to make me pay was just not reasonable. Plus, due to the career change I have embarked on (and finally finished) the last two years and due to the fact that I've pretty much been working for free (not really but my checkbook sometimes makes me feel otherwise), even with my stellar credit (that's right I said stellar) I don't qualify for a loan without a cosigner. Instead of rushing through that now I just decided that since I don't want to buy my car I should just count my losses and turn it in. Which is what I did and I actually feel pretty good about it. For at least 3.5 weeks I'll have no car payment, no gas money to spend, and no reason to fret that maybe that light I ran was a little more red and a little less yellow.

No comments: